17 March 2010

San Cristobal de las Casas might have been cooler in other circumstances


The bus ride wasn't that bad at all, slept most of the way and woke up to see the sunrise in the jungle. Unlike the parts of Mexico city I saw San Cristobal is very touristic, but also full of natives, which makes it a colourfull spot where many backpackers stay to live after their tour in Central or Latin America. I won't be one of them though: Psychedelic Americans who believe that humans evolved from reptilian extraterrestrials from space getting prepared for the new era starting in 2012 - lizzies – just aren't my cup of tea. Neither do I feel at home with hippies dealing and meeting dealers all day long all excited about the starting mushroom season, for quite different reasons than I usually am. I know how boring and restricted that makes me sound but hey, I think I just prefer a lifestyle with a future, living completely day-to-day works better when you're a teenager.

Sunday was full of sun, mango peeling and chutney making, followed by a great dinner at the hippie house. I met a cool, completely deaf, couchsurfing couple who were hitchhiking their way though Latin America and had the longest conversation on notes since high school.


On Monday it was time for a nature excursion with my host Rudy, her girlfriend Monika and a CS couple from the states. Rudy and Monika met in CS in december and are now expecting a baby - yeah, CS is TOTALLY not a dating site. And me and Erik met already in November so we're taking it nice and slow only having moved in together... After seeing how countless aerobic classes don't help at all when walking up the hill in these altitudes, admiring the views and feeling the coldness and cleanliness of the mountain current on a hot Mexican spring day we got back to the city for a bit a sightseeing and for some quesadillas later.

That's where the fun ended. I've spent the last 48 hours dividing my time between the bed and the toilet, having only water, tea, juice and different kinds of pills to keep me 'alive'. 39 degrees feaver and extremely unhappy stomach doesn't make best travelling company so I'll have to cross at least Villahermosa and Palenque off my list for now. I don't know what I would've done without Rudy, Monika and their flatmate Kate who've taken such good care of me. So the view on the left has been the only one I've seen in the last couple of days.

God how I'm tired of being sick...

7 comments:

MINNA said...

Tätä blogia on ihana lukea! Kirjotat niin värikkäästi että tuntuu ihan kuin ois ite mukana, etenkin tuo mahataudin kuvailu tuo just semmosen oikeanlaisen realismin säväyksen kirjoitukseen :D Mutta toivoa täytyy että jatkossa tuo sängyn pohjalla makailu näyttelis pienempää roolia siun reissussa, on ollu kyllä liian rankka alku unelmien toteutukselle.

Sivun ulkoasukin on oikein onnistunut, GO GIRL GO!

Täällä on myös kaksi pientä seuraajaa jotka katsoo innolla Elina-tätin kuvia :)

Anna said...

Elina, it sounds like you have met the best friends and that you are having a great time (i chose not to listen to the sick-story...). I am so glad for you. Here, things are good, the office is still standing, and we are as always working our asses off. :) Spring is around the corner though it is still cold... :) Kramar, Anna

Anonymous said...

Meksikon apteekeista saa mahtavaa pulveria, Uvasal, joka tepsii migreenistä ruokamyrkytykseen ja muihin matkavaivoihin. Tsemppiä! abuela-Tea

Unknown said...

Hi Girl. I'm suddenly not so jealous about your trip anymore :) Hope you feel better soon. Gustav and Magnus land here on Monday, which I'm really excited about. Will be showing them around my city.
Be well and keep up the writing.

Love

Anonymous said...

Toivottavasti olo on jo kohentunut ja matka päässyt jatkumaan!! Jos ei tuota "kakkatautia" oteta huomioon niin olen kyllä täydellisen kateellinen siun matkasta vaikka se on vasta alkumetreillä... ...ihanaa, että pääsen nojatuolimatkalle edes täältä käsin! Siun kirjoituksissa on helppo elää mukana.

Tapahtumarikasta ja ikimuistettavaa matkan jatkoa, mie todellakin seuraan siun matkaa ja olen hengessä mukana!

Voimahalaus!

-Elina-

Eeva said...

Kiva blogi sulla. Kaunis ulkoasu ja mukaansatempaavaa tekstiä. Hauska seurata reissuasi blogin välityksellä.

Itsekin olen matkailemassa Meksikoon (ja muuallekin Karibialle) ensi kuussa, mutta tuskin silti törmätään. Mutta kukapa tietää... ;)

Anonymous said...

Detta är verkligen löste mitt problem, tack!