11 March 2010

Mexico City, baby! This chick has flown across the Atlantic!


After baking a few blueberry pies in the morning, me and the most gorgeous man on earth arrived to London on Monday evening to meet up with my lovely and utterly pissed CS hostess Jade and her Guinness loving flat mate, who to my great amazement both made it to work the next morning.


Tuesday went by way too quickly doing absolutely nothing and enjoying every minute of it; taking random doubledeckers, wondering around on the banks of the Thames collecting bird shit on our shoes and trying to smootch each other to death. Then we met up with the birthday triplets Caroline, Ary and Sophie as well as the world saving electric car racer Toby – my mates from Erasmus exchange in the Basque Country in 2005. I'll add a link to Toby's blog later... if I get a hitch thought Chile from him in a few months!

My best friend Minna caused me some new wrinkles by forgetting her mobile at home and therefore not replying to my SMS asking if she and her family survived the earthquake in Turkey. (I know it was days ago, but do you really think I've had time to read the news lately?). But her better half Antti did, and they're all well, getting tanned and fat enjoying their holiday.


On Wednesday I decided to stop using EasyBus after freezing my ass off waiting for one of their godforsaken buses for more than half an hour in the frisky London breeze. Or just to exchange Erik for a sumo wresler who could block the wind a bit better. We said our bitter sweet goodbyes and now I'm wrote these words of wisdom in Gatwick where I was offered to be upgraded on my flight, for a minor additional change of 500£. But I only had 3£ so I bought Panda licorice instead.

Disappointingly enough none of my long flight nightmares came true. No screaming children anywhere to be seen or heard, no-one stinky sitting next to me (no-one at all actually, the plane was more than half empty) and the food was good. Seriously, not even just decent but actually tasty. First nine hours of the flight went surprisingly painlessly and the last three were only annoying 'cause my eyes insisted on closing even though I wanted them to keep open.

I only realised that this is actually happening – I'm really thousands of kilometres away from everyone I know – when we started landing to Mexico City which is not a particularly small village with its 22 million people metropolital area. And guess how many silvery and golden lights flashing in the dark when you're approaching it from the air!

After staying awake for over 24 hours and having yummy Mexican food with my hosts Carlos and Adrian , I fell asleep in a about two seconds. Now the first day at this huge city is about to begin!

4 comments:

Taru said...

Ajatella, että siitä on vain muutama päivä kuin olit vielä täällä ja nyt sitten jo siellä. Ihanaa, että matka meni hyvin ja ilman turhia kommelluksia.
Jatkoa mielenkiinnolla odottaen,
Taru

Anonymous said...

Elina, ihana kuulla että pääsit maailman sille puolen jo! :) Mukavaa matkaa!-Anu (ja haleja!) kiva kuva toi eka :)

Reine said...

can't wait to hear more!!! congratulations by the way ;)

Anonymous said...

hi, new to the site, thanks.