03 May 2010

My big day in Montevideo and some more boring ones

Not a single comment on my two previous blog entries, boring few days in Montevideo and I feel like I'm all out of blog energy. Quite a contrast to the last lines of my last update.

Last of April went as intended: me and Minna drank champagne on skype in the company of some other old school buddies. Even Erik got to join for a bit before he was kicked out for being too sober. After finishing the bottle I went to make friends on the nearby square, on the beach and had a lovely pacharan in a bar. I got a bottle of cheap vodka and some coke to keep me going, but somehow after champagne the vodka didn't taste as good as you'd expect and I gave up after only couple of drinks – very unlike me, ey? Since we started at 10am (which is 4am Finnish time) and finished before 5pm, I had the rest of the night to enjoy the long-longed hangover which together with that coke caffeine kept me up all night, pretty much in the same place where I spend my second week on this trip, between the bed and the bathroom. My new English mates at the hostel laughed their asses off. Since Minna didn't feel very well either the next day, we figured it must be the Dom Perignon that had gone bad – hopefully they don't go to bankruptcy now that we've started boycotting them.


After having my first negative CS experience the night before and crying myself to sleep because of that, the few days I spend in the Che Lagarto hostel in Montevideo were very pleasant – the place is like a home with fun staff and everyone talking to everyone. And if you book online you can get a dorm bed for half a price (100pesos, 4€ a night). It's just that the timing wasn't quite right: on the contrast to Finland, 1st of May is probably the most boring day to visit Uruguay, absolutely everything is closed and most people stay at home with their families. Without hanging out with the two English football hooligans and a German couchsurfer called Niklas in the hostel and being introduced to the local market with my Tacuarembó host Gonzalo, I would've died of boredom. And I still nearly did, even finished a pocket book and started another one.

Not quite what I thought I'd be writing three days after being allowed to start drinking again.

No comments: