30 April 2010

Tacuarembó without gauchos

Two nervous people met at the Tacuarembó bus station (in Northern Uruguay) on Monday evening; one experienced surfer who had accepted a couch from a serial-killer looking guy without any previous references and another, CS beginner who didn't know what to expect from his first hosting experience. When I left Gonzalo's place on Thursday morning we were both happy it worked out so well: He didn't kill me and I didn't steal his shit. And we both made a new CS friend and will meet again this Sunday in Montevideo.

Tacuarembó was refreshingly small and quiet town after all these cities I've found myself in lately. If you're ever been to Stureplan in central Stockholm you know the mushroom monument there (the pole you held on to after having too many drinks at the Spybar = Swedish for throw-up bar). Well, Tacuorembó has got one too, and it might not be surrounded with crowds of people with perfect bone structures and outfits that cost more than your monthly rent, but an outdoor pool, a few palm trees and blooming cactus make up for that nicely. MAISEMA Having free wifi in all public parks is a bonus too, especially for a poor traveller who hadn't remembered to call her mum in Skype for more than 7 weeks.

Montevideo (bus 5h, 390 pesos, 14€ from Tacuarembó) welcomed me with a free map from the tourist office at main bus terminal and the adoption to two non-spanish speaking Aussies who I guided to my hostel for the weekend. The Che Lagarte Hostel took my backpack for safekeeping for the night for free and promised I was not only allowed to drink alcohol at the hostel when I checked in the day after, but they'd also provide ice and a bucket for my champagne. Relieved to have it all ready for my celebration I had lunch at the Basque Euskal Herria restaurant, enjoying eating vegetables and salads after consuming probably a whole cow, intestines and organs included, with Gonzalo and his friend the night before. Maybe I'll pop by for txupito of Basque magic potion pacharán tomorrow – for good old times... Then again, after a year of alcohol abstinence, a bottle of Champagne might be plenty for one day.


♫ I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it. I'm about to lose control and I think I like it... ♪

No comments: