06 October 2010

Beaches and pouring rain in Costa Rica

The past two weeks have been just that: travelling from one beach town to another in constant heavy rain.

The best thing about yankee beach resort of Dominical was the wildlife; iguanas and lizards everywhere, in the hostel dorm, in front of the bathrooms, in the kitchen, you name it.


This one wondered around the hostel for about 30 minutes, fell into the trash bin and continued down the stairs after that.

Another new friend sat on my dress for nearly an hour while I was cooking and eating: a huge blue butterfly which I didn't want to bother with my flash.





After having enough of the outrages prices (1,5€ per an hour of internet or a single tomato) I took a bus to another beach village called Manuel Antonio (1900col + 250col; 3€; 2h) with this colourful creature laying on the dashboard of the bus nearly the whole way.





I stayed at Cabinas Piscis (a room for 4000col, 6€) and was planning to visit the National Park the place is known for but the unending rain turned the paths way to muddy for my slippery sandals and being soaked in the jungle alone for the whole day didn't seem too tempting.


So after only one night at this beach place I continued to San José, in the pouring rain of course, and spend a few days there (Hotel Musoc, 5000col; 7€) trying to get my travel plans and other stuff sorted out.

Many of the travellers I had met didn't really recommend going to the capital at all, but I have to admit that for once in my life I preferred a big city to the fishing villages – at least it wasn't as touristy as they were!

I took an unplanned trip back to Panamá for the weekend to visit some more beaches and enjoy of the Panamanian type of rain (quite similar to Costa Rica but nothing like the few drops we get in north every now and then).

Hanging out with people I already knew and whose company I enjoyed was totally worth getting up at 4am, the 12h trip (8900col, 15€) there and back and having to deal with the 'pleasant' border officials at the Costa Rican border again. Don't take international buses if you don't want your stuff searched on both sides of the border.

After some successful cooking, and horrible baking, I said goodbye to Panamá again – this time for good – and started a tiring trip first to San José for one night and then off to Nicaragua the next morning (6h, 8€).

By the time I got to Rivas in Nicaragua I was sweaty, tired and pissed off after dealing with the officials, paying 13$ as fees for just wanting to come to the country to spend my money here and turning away dozens of hagglers trying to sell me everything from official entry forms to hot dogs. Without bumping into a friendly expat, meeting up with some CSers and having a few local beers, my first day in Nicaragua would not have left a pleasant memory behind.

Now, after a long cold shower and well slept night in Hospedaje Lydia (160 cor, 6€), I'm ready for new adventures. Only four weeks left – stick with me!

No comments: